Davenport University honors veterans | News
CALEDONIA (WZZM)- Students at Davenport University celebrated Veterans Day Monday with a campus event.
Members of the military were on the main campus, starting at 9 a.m. displaying the some of the vehicles and equipment that is used overseas today. Local law enforcement were also there displaying their equipment. Event visitors signed flags and wrote letters to the Davenport students who are currently deployed.
There are 600 veterans enrolled at Davenport statewide, 300 on it's main campus in Caledonia.
One of them was Andrew Weiss, a Sgt. with the Army National Guard. He told WZZM 13's Peter Ross:"I personally just want to thank the community for putting so much effort into hosting such an operation to thank us - it means a lot to me because my service in Iraq was difficult - it's nice to have a little recognition.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids South
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- New uniform requirement begins at GRPS middle schools
- Grand Rapids police are investigating an overnight stabbing during an apparent robbery attempt.
- Break dance school celebrates 10 years of street dancing
- Outdoor watch party planned for MSU-Oregon game
- The Rapid gives annual update to Kent Co. commissioners