House totaled after child lights mattress | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - Crews are clearing up the scene of a house fire in southeast Grand Rapids.
The fire started at about 11:30am in the 1100 block of Cromwell SE, just north of Hall Street.
Family tells WZZM 13 News that the fire was started by a seven year old child on the first floor of the home who took a lighter from his mother's purse. The child was playing on a bed and the mattress caught on fire and the flames quickly spread.
The family, a two residents upstairs, and a neighbor were all evacuated and no one was hurt.
The Red Cross is assisting the residents with housing.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids South
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State
- My Town: Our Kitchen Table improves lives through the power of plants