Pastor ordered to stand trial for embezzlement | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- A local pastor will stand trial for embezzlement, a Grand Rapids District Court judge decided Monday.
Judge Donald Passenger bound over the case against Rev. Arthur Pearson Sr. to Kent County Circuit Court.
The investigation into Pearson began in November. He was charged with embezzling from Pilgrim Rest Missionary Baptist Church in January, and his preliminary examination -- which determined whether there was enough evidence against the reverend for a trial -- began last month.
Pearson is accused of using thousands of dollars in church funds on personal expenses like dinners, doctors' visits and shopping.
The accusations against Rev. Pearson have divided his church. Several leaders closed the church last month, despite objections from members of the congregation.
No date for the case in Circuit Court has been set.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids South
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grand Rapids police are investigating an overnight stabbing during an apparent robbery attempt.
- Break dance school celebrates 10 years of street dancing
- Outdoor watch party planned for MSU-Oregon game
- The Rapid gives annual update to Kent Co. commissioners
- Kris Spaulding helps Brewery Vivant find a new way of making merry